Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tranquillity Switch--Find Yours

I have a friend who told me to flip the switch in my mind, ‘just a little to the right of one o’clock’, and therein I would find the tranquillity I sought. Sounded crazy at the time—but that statement was one of the most profound statements anyone ever shared with me.


I like finding a ‘switch’ inside myself that takes me from an agitated state, into one of tranquillity. Something I feel we should all learn to find inside ourselves.

Sometimes I find mine, and sometimes I forget to look, sometimes I think I actually enjoy being agitated and that it acts just like washing the clothes, stirring me up so I can let all the dirt out. But, the truth is, there is enough dirt to last on this planet, what is truly rare is ‘ourselves’ in a state of tranquillity, self induced, and not with the help of pharmaceuticals.

And yet, there are those who become addicted to tranquillity, too, and I can’t say as I blame them, but it does become a bit much when the mother says to the little boy reporting that the house is on fire, ‘let it be’, I mean that’s one extreme way to annihilate all the house work.

Tranquillity, the absence of agitation of any kind, can be had, with the flip of a switch somewhere in the mind. But, it took me years to find mine. For many years I could feel myself go into a state of tranquillity every now and then without knowing what I had done. The first time I recall was in maths class when I was about twelve, so relaxed did I become from taking my mind somewhere else that I fell out of my chair. I can remember other children doing the same.   Self induced states of tranquillity to avoid the pain of a boring subject, or teacher talking in monotone, but to find that switch self consciously as an adult takes a lot of work, that’s why they have seminars on it and charge you lots of money.

I spent a small fortune seeking tranquillity once upon a time, and I am here to tell you, I didn’t have to except that like most people looking for something without the effort it takes to find it, I gave money to people who promised to help me. They did help relieve me of the agitation of how to spend my money.  No one else can help you find your own tranquillity switch, it takes one person sifting through the rubble of one’s own mind because all the switches are in different places inside every individual, ain’t it just like an angry god to do that?! Hide the tranquillity switches, quick...people all need to be agitated enough to put fires out, providing they discover fire, too, and they did, man did they.

Now, I am sure you were hoping I might be able to tell you how to do it, because I claim to have found mine, but the truth is, mine goes missing, too, and ‘a little to the right of one o’clock’ can become a different position depending on where you live on this planet, and if you are currently standing on your head or lying down, and of course what time zone you be in. Daylight savings can play havoc on locating a tranquillity switch, I promise.

The only thing I can tell you for sure is that if I have one, you probably do, too, or perhaps, like the difference between sexes, one seeking itself out of fear of the other’s more powerful one, hahaha, if you believe that, I have some swamp land I will sell you eventually, good night Freud, you were a smart man, but....

PS...Brother John just informed me that his tranquillity switch is in his little toe, so whenever it bothers him, he just hits it with a hammer and the tranquillity switch is turned on...and if that doesn’t work he takes a pair of channel locks and pinches his earlobe and everything comes ' a little right of one o’clock'.

PSS...I am not going to tell you what he does with his trowel!!!!

No comments: