Sunday, February 13, 2011

This Week's Virtue is Silence...

And no, that does not mean you will not hear from me.  What it means is that I will concentrate on saying only those things that may benefit others or myself; avoiding trifling conversation.  Albeit 'trifling' is completely subjective, my subjects will be what I deem to be most worthy of what needs be said out loud.

I will have to think as consciously as I can before I speak and write ever more carefully.  Judging from my own calculation of how well I did with temperance last week, this week will feel like a year I am sure.

My morality board is paying off though.  I have avoided six candy bars, a pack of cigarettes, abstained totally from drinking ever again (as one glass of wine at the cricket match left me sick for two days) and my pants are loser providing an easier leg lift onto the kitchen bench to stretch out my fingers toward the freezer.

Silence...perhaps I shall negotiate today as my one day to not speak at all...a Gandhi holiday, to which, I am certain we could all benefit from, if only we all chose the same day.  And since this is merely a fantasy to consider, I shall leave now and challenge myself to the reality of how silence can really improve my life and those who surround me and consider what topics are worthy of discussion always.

No comments: